J&M KEYSTONE, INC.

How Candle Fire Left 31 Homeless , 23 rd Nov 2017

candle

Earlier this month, a devastating home fire resulted in 31 people being left homeless. The fire was triggered by an unattended candle, which is actually a common cause for home fires.

In this issue, we’ll talk more about the fire, talk about the most common causes of home fires and provide safety tips for handling candles.

The Fire at a Glance

Firefighters from the Los Angeles County Fire Department arrived at the Walnut Park fire just after 2 a.m. As of right now, it’s believed the fire was sparked by candles that had been knocked over by a pet cat.

Even though an 11-year-old boy experienced second-degree burns to his face, most of the damage was limited to the living room, although there was significant smoke damage throughout the home.

What are the top causes of home fires?

The home fire described above is actually not uncommon at all. In fact, fires caused by candles are quite common. The National Fire Protection Association tells us that from 2009-2013, there were 9,300 home structure fires started by candles. Remember to never leave a burning candle unattended and do not place it near flammable materials or in an empty room.

Other common causes of home fires include:

  • Cooking equipment (remain in kitchen while cooking to keep an eye on things, especially pots and splattering grease);
  • Smoking (do not smoke in bed, and never place an ashtray near anything that will burn); and
  • Electrical wiring (remember to inspect the wiring of all of your electrical appliances and never overload outlets).

Have you experienced a home fire in San Diego? Call San the restoration experts at J&M Keystone.

Accidents – especially fires – can occur in the blink of an eye. If it happens in your home, safety is your primary concern. After that, it’s time to getting your house feeling like home again.

To do that, we urge you to contact us here at J&M Keystone by calling 800-368-2757.

Associations & Affiliations